Those moving into a new home for the first time as well as those upgrading their home may want to express their individuality through the materials and design elements they choose. Architects, interior designers and general contractors can all help conceptualize and implement a desired look. Below are just a few suggestions as to how to free your mind of more standard looks for your home and realize what's possible when you let your imagination run wild.
1. Creating a nature room inside the home. Imagine a carpet of grass and moss, trees and bushes planted into the floor of your home. Furniture in tropical colors or in muted tones to blend into the surroundings. People crave quiet spaces in nature, so why not create a natural room inside your home? Hidden speakers can add ambiance and water features such as fountains and rivers that run from inside to outside the home can all help you feel like your sanctuary is an escape into your perfect vision of solitude.
2. Mix up wall materials. Beyond paint, wallpaper and tile, unique materials add a certain touch to a room that won't often be copied. Silk walls, walls of gold or steel or even leather will have guests commenting on your remarkable design.
3. Use of arches and angles. Think of the calm feeling that comes over one as they enter a church. Religious or not, the stained glass windows and impressive arches often give people pause for a moment and create a sensation of awe. There's no reason tall repeating arches can't be used inside a home. Stained glass windows as large as you like will change the look and feel of any room.
4. Create a theme for a room, then make every single detail of the room fit into that theme. For example, if you like water, consider small ponds for sinks or showers made of glass that looks like icicles. Paint the walls blue and use a variety of small tiles of various blue colors to create the feel of movement in your home.
5. Don't forget the exterior. What types of materials can you use that are out of the ordinary? What about a mesh layer over the home? Shutters, as simple as they may sound transform the look and feel of a home.
No matter what your personal preferences, whether they are natural, industrial, minimalist or bright and cherry, there are ways to make a home uniquely yours. Think outside the box and you'll end up with a home everybody in the neighborhood is talking about.